Recognising and rewarding student effort and success plays an important role in motivating students and building up their self-confidence. In Blessington Community College we focus on the positive when dealing with our students. A number of approaches are used in this regard:
- On an everyday informal level students are praised by subject teachers, Class Tutors and Year Heads for their efforts and success. Sometimes this praise will be given privately while on other occasions it may be in front of their peers in class.
- Each year group has a weekly assembly. Year Heads use this opportunity to recognise the achievements of individual or groups of students. Success inside and outside school are recognised.
- Parents will often receive letters home about students who are showing a high level of effort or improvement.
- The end of year rewards trip is open to those students whose behaviour and attendance have been exemplary throughout the year.
- Each year we have an awards evening at which we recognise the academic, sporting, attendance and other achievements of students.