|The decision with regard to which school your children should attend is a vital one and one which parents do not take lightly. It is important that parents make a fully informed choice after looking at all the options available to them and their children.
Blessington Community College has the following to offer your children:
- An excellent, young, vibrant, enthusiastic and dedicated teaching staff.
- A wide ranging curriculum in which students can study up to honours level in all Leaving Cert examinations.
- Excellent care and support systems for pupils.
- A warm, friendly atmosphere that comes from a small school environment.
- A small school where all pupils are known individually – not just numbers.
- A wide range of extra-curricular activities including school choir, music lessons, gaelic football, soccer, athletics, badminton, volleyball, computer club and art club.
- Excellent ICT facilities – computer suite, computerised CDG room, computers in every classroom, data projectors in all classrooms, interactive white-boards.
- Our past-pupils have completed PhDs, become solicitors, journalists, computer programmers, teachers, artists, engineers, business people amongst other things.
- No need to travel long distances – go to a local school – time spent on a bus could be time spent studying.
- Last year 71% of our students went on to third level colleges including UCD, Trinity College, NUI Maynooth, DIT, Carlow IT and Waterford IT amongst others.
We believe in the importance of working to enable students to achieve all they are capable of. We know that the key to student success lies in identifying their potential and working with them to ensure that they can reach this potential. We have excellent monitoring procedures in place which enable us to identify when pupils are not working to the best of their ability and to rectify this.
We take pride in providing a high standard of education for our students, provided by a dedicated and caring staff.
1st Year Students
The normal route for people enroling in the College is to do so at the end of their primary education. In this instance, representatives of the College will visit the feeder primary schools early in the academic year prior to admission. All interested pupils and their parents will be invited to the College Open Evening. Completed application forms must be returned to the College by the date specified each year (for entry in September 2012, that date is Monday 12th December, 2011).
Pupils Transfering from other Post-Primary Schools
We frequently have requests from parents to enrol students who are already enrolled in another post-primary school and wish to join Blessington Community College.
The procedure for transferring is as follows:
1. Parent/Guardian completes Form E2 ‘Form of Enquiry for Student Seeking Transfer’ outlining the reasons for seeking to change schools
2. Copies of the student’s two most recent school reports are provided to the school
3. Upon receipt of these documents the parent(s)/guardian(s) and child will attend for interview with the Principal and other relevant personnel at Blessington Community College
4. The applicant will be informed of the school’s decision in relation to the application
5. Student’s being offered a place will complete Form E4 and return it with relevant documentation.
The relevant forms can be obtained from the College Office or downloaded from the 'School Documents' section of this website.
All admissions are carried out in accordance with the College's Admissions Policy which can be downloaded from the 'Policies' section of 'School Documents'.